Saturday, October 3, 2026

Nirvana Shatakam: Six Transformative Affirmations

 Nirvana Shatakam

In a world obsessed with labels, achievements, anxieties, and endless self-improvement, one profound question remains when we remain undistracted: Who am I, really?

Adi Shankaracharya answered this question in a way that continues to shake the foundations of our ordinary understanding of ourselves. When the young seeker was asked by his future guru, "Who are you?", he did not reply with his name, family, profession, or background. Instead, six verses flowed spontaneously from him. These verses became known as the Nirvana Shatakam (Ātma Shatakam), a timeless declaration of the true Self.

Nirvana Shatakam is a direct expression of Self-realization.

While the original verses were intended for deep contemplation and meditation, they can also serve as powerful spiritual affirmations for modern seekers. Unlike conventional affirmations that attempt to improve the ego, these affirmations point beyond the ego altogether. They remind us of what we already are beneath our fears, desires, successes, failures, and changing identities.

Why These Affirmations Are Different

Most affirmations say:

  • I am successful.
  • I am confident.
  • I am strong.
  • I am worthy.

Nirvana Shatakam asks

  • Am I merely my thoughts?
  • Am I only my emotions?
  • Am I the body?
  • Am I my achievements and failures?

The answer given by Shankaracharya is revolutionary:

No. You are the ever-free, ever-pure consciousness in which all these experiences arise and pass away.

These six verses help shift our identification from the limited personality to the limitless Self.


Affirmation 1: I Am Not My Thoughts

The opening verse declares:

"I am not the mind, intellect, ego, or memory."

Most of our suffering arises because we identify completely with our thoughts. When the mind becomes restless, we say, "I am disturbed." When the mind is happy, we say, "I am happy."

But thoughts come and go. The one who observes them remains.

Modern Affirmation

I am the witness of my thoughts, not the thoughts themselves. I rest in the awareness that observes all mental activity.

When anxiety, overthinking, or self-doubt appear, this affirmation reminds us that awareness itself remains untouched.

Affirmation 2: I Am More Than the Body

The second verse rejects identification with the physical body and life-force.

Our culture constantly teaches us to define ourselves through appearance, age, health, strength, or weakness. Yet the body changes every day.

The child, the youth, the adult, and the elderly person all possess different bodies. What remains constant?

The witnessing consciousness.

Modern Affirmation

I am not limited by the body. I am the changeless awareness that experiences the body's changing states.

This reflection can bring remarkable peace during illness, aging, and life's inevitable transitions.

Affirmation 3: I Am Free from Likes and Dislikes

One of the most powerful declarations in Nirvana Shatakam is:

"I have no attachment or aversion."

Much of human life swings between attraction and repulsion.

"I like this."

"I dislike that."

"I want more."

"I must avoid this."

These reactions constantly agitate the mind.

The Self, however, remains free.

Modern Affirmation

I am not controlled by craving or resistance. I remain centered, peaceful, and free.

This affirmation helps us respond consciously rather than react impulsively.


Affirmation 4: My True Nature Is Not Defined by Roles

We spend our lives collecting identities:

  • Parent
  • Teacher
  • Researcher
  • Student
  • Professional
  • Friend

While these roles are important, they are not our ultimate reality.

The fourth verse transcends all social and religious identities, pointing to something universal and eternal.

Modern Affirmation

I am not merely the roles I play. My true nature is timeless, limitless awareness.

This perspective helps us maintain inner stability even when external circumstances change.

Affirmation 5: I Am Beyond Fear and Limitation

Fear often arises from identification with what can be lost:

  • Health
  • Wealth
  • Reputation
  • Relationships
  • Status

Nirvana Shatakam reminds us that our deepest nature cannot be damaged, diminished, or destroyed.

The Self was never born and never dies.

Modern Affirmation

I am fearless because my true nature is beyond gain and loss. Nothing can diminish what I truly am.

Repeated contemplation on this truth can gradually weaken insecurity and existential anxiety.

Affirmation 6: I Am Pure Awareness, Peace, and Bliss

Every verse ends with the famous declaration:

Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham

"I am of the nature of Consciousness and Bliss. I am Shiva. I am Shiva."

This is not a statement of personal pride. It is the dissolution of all individuality into universal consciousness.

It is the recognition that our essential nature is already whole, complete, and free.

Modern Affirmation

My true nature is pure consciousness, peace, freedom, and bliss. I am whole exactly as I am.

This is the culmination of all spiritual practice.

How to Use Nirvana Shatakam as a Daily Practice

  1. Read one verse each morning.
  2. Reflect on its meaning throughout the day.
  3. Repeat the corresponding affirmation quietly.
  4. Observe your thoughts instead of becoming them.
  5. Spend a few moments resting in silent awareness.

Over time, the words move from intellectual understanding to lived experience.

As the traditional teachers explain, the words eventually become unnecessary. What remains is the direct recognition of one's true nature.

Beyond Positive Thinking

Nirvana Shatakam is not about becoming a better version of the ego.

It is about discovering that your deepest identity was never limited in the first place.

The world tells us: "Become something."

Nirvana Shatakam whispers:"Discover what you already are."

The journey of the six verses leads from confusion to clarity, from identification to freedom, from restlessness to peace.

And at the end of every verse, as if reminding us of a forgotten truth, comes the eternal affirmation:

Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham
I am pure Consciousness and Bliss. I am Shiva. I am Shiva.

That is not merely an affirmation to repeat.

It is a truth to realize.

Closing Reflection

The greatest affirmation is not "I can do it."

It is not "I am successful."

It is not even "I am happy."

The greatest affirmation is the one revealed by Adi Shankaracharya:

"I am not the limited person I take myself to be. I am the infinite awareness in which all experiences arise and dissolve."

And that recognition is the beginning of true freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment